Gretsch Silverjet & Sparklejet 6129 Solidbody Guitars
Description: Gretsch Silver Jet 6129 & Sparkle Jet guitars
Available: 1954 to 1966.
Collectibility Rating: Single cutaway models: C+, Double cutaway models: C.
The Silverjet and Sparklejet models were basically fancy
versions of the Duojet (which came in black, or red and
called a Jet Firebird).
Les Paul shaped and sized, this model competed directly with
Gibson's Les Paul model. It is the identical body as the 6128 Duojet, 6121 Chet
Atkins Solidbody, and 6130 Roundup (but without the western theme). The body is 13 1/4 inches
wide, maple top, two pickups. Gretsch used drum casing material
for the sparkle, gluing it to the maple top. The body is really
not solid, but Gretsch called this series of guitars a "solidbody".
If you need to figure out the exact year of your Gretsch Silverjet 6129 guitar, use the serial number
from the serial/model number label.
This is located inside the body in one one of the rear control cavities.
See the Gretsch Serial Number Info web page
for help determining the exact year.
If you have a vintage Gretsch Silverjet 6129 or Sparklejet guitar for sale, please contact me at
- 1954 Gretsch DuoJet and Silverjet guitars Introduction specs:
- Single Cutaway, top finished in black (most common) or Cadillac
- Sparkle silver top available (model 6129 SilverJet).
- Red top available (model 6131 Jet FireBird) with black pickguard.
- Clear acyrlic pickguard, back painted in silver (except on 6131).
- Two DeArmond single coil pickups.
- Three knobs on lower bout, one on cutaway, 1 switch on upper bout.
- Melita bridge.
- "G" tailpiece.
- Celluloid block inlays.
- 24 3/4" scale.
- Chrome plated parts.
- 1957 Gretsch DuoJet and Silverjet guitars specs:
- "Humptop" inlays replace blocks.
- 1958 Gretsch DuoJet and Silverjet guitars specs:
- Filter'tron humbucking pickups replace DeArmonds.
- Thumbprint (neoclassic) inlays replace humptop inlays.
- Bar style bridge.
- Two switches on upper bass bout (tone and pickup selection).
- Two knobs instead of three on lower treble bout (three total).
- Bigsby vibrato.
- 1959 Gretsch DuoJet and Silverjet guitars specs:
- 1961 DuoJet and Silverjet guitars specs:
- Double cutaway symmetrical body.
- Standby switch added.
- Burns vibrato replaces Bigsby.
- 1963 Gretsch DuoJet and Sparklejet guitars specs:
- SilverJet model dropped, sparkle tops available as custom DuoJet finish.
- Sparkle top available in different colors: gold, champagne, burgundy,
- 1966 Gretsch DuoJet and Sparklejet guitars specs:
- Sparkle finishes discontinued.