1956 Fender Telecaster Tele Guitar
Description: 1956 Fender Telecaster (Tele) guitar
Collectibility Rating: B+
Production: no official (or unofficial) production numbers available.
The Fender Telecaster guitar is one of the most popular solidbody electric
guitar ever made, and is the solidbody guitar that started it all.
Early models (pre-1965, known as "pre-CBS" models, since CBS
bought Fender in January 1965) are the most collectible.
Originality and condition are the two most important features of a vintage Fender
guitar, and Fender Telecaster, Nocaster, Broadcaster, and Esquires (Teles)
do seem to have been easily modified
(due to their "bolt together" nature).
Serial number range for the 1956 Fender Telecaster are generally
9000 to 16000 (stamped into the rear metal neck plate).
If you need to figure out the exact year of your pre-CBS Fender Telecaster,
use the serial number and the general features of the guitar.
See the Fender Serial Number Info web page
for help determining the year.
If you have a vintage pre-CBS Fender Telecaster (Tele) guitar for sale, please let me know.
I am a private vintage guitar collector (not a store), and you can contact me at
See the next year's 1957/1958 Fender Telecaster guitar.
See the previous year's 1954/1955 Fender Telecaster guitar.
Back to the main Fender Vintage Guitar Info webpage
Mid 1956 Telecaster specs:
- String tree changes from round button to "butterfly" clip.
- String tree moved closer to the nut, roughly in alignment with the A-string tuning
- "Single Line" Kluson Deluxe tuners (which says "Kluson Deluxe" in a
- Peghead decal position changes to between the nut and the string tree (rather than
next to the G-string tuning post).
- Peghead has much sharper edges. No longer is Fender sanding and rounding the edges
of the peghead.
- Neck backshape gets a large "soft V" shape.
- Metal control knobs change from a chrome plated brass course knurl
rounded top design, to a fine knurl flat top pot-metal knob.